When it comes to skin care, we often focus on caring for the skin on our faces and neglect the skin on the rest of our bodies. But the truth is, the skin on your body and on your face is a direct reflection of what’s happening on the inside!
This means that the rest of your skin is just as important. Skin all over your body, not just your face, provides clues about your health. And just as your face has a delicate pH balance and skin microbiota (community of bacteria) that are crucial for its health, the same applies to the rest of your body.
There are some differences between body and facial skin, but one thing is for sure: all of your skin needs proper nourishment from a healthy diet, a healthy lifestyle, and pure, natural, and pH-balanced skin care products.
Six Differences Between Facial and Body Skin
- The skin on your face is more prone to sun damage because it isn’t covered up as much as the rest of the skin on the rest of your body.
- Facial skin is also more delicate than the skin on your body, but the skin on the rest of your body is more prone to cuts and scrapes, and healthy skin is essential to promote a normal rate of wound healing, which ensures skin can do its job to protect the inside of your body.
- The skin on your body is generally a little thicker than the skin on your face, neck, and décolleté. Thicker body skin leads to an increase in dead skin cell build-up. The skin on the soles of your feet is the thickest skin on your body.
- Body skin has fewer sebaceous glands than your face, so it is less oily than the skin on your face. The neck, shoulders, and chest have more sebaceous glands than other parts of the body, as well. This is one reason the skin on other parts of the body tends to be drier than the skin on your face.
- The skin microbiota (microorganisms like bacteria, yeast, and fungi) vary greatly on the face compared to the rest of the body. That’s one reason why certain infections like athlete’s foot occur on the feet rather than the face.
- The skin on the rest of your body has a slower cell turnover rate, another factor in developing dry, scaly skin. Age also slows down the process of cell turnover. You may have found that your knees and elbows tend to be drier than other parts of the body. If your skin is dry all over, techniques such as dry brushing can enhance your circulation, remove dead skin, and detoxify the body.
The Spa Dr. Body Essentials
The Spa Dr. Body Essentials are formulated to nourish the skin on your body without hormone-disrupting chemicals.
CLEAN: Body Wash
Melt away perspiration, pollution, and debris from daily life naturally, with a cleanser that you can feel good about putting on your body. The Spa Dr.’s CLEAN: Body Wash is a luxurious and gentle body wash that contains gluten-free colloidal oatmeal, Hawaiian lava salt, bamboo extract, almond oil, argan oil, and coconut oil.
Let’s learn more about these nourishing ingredients. Colloidal oatmeal is anti-inflammatory, soothing, and contains collagen-promoting polysaccharides. Hawaiian lava salt is rich in activated charcoal. In addition, charcoal is known for its detoxifying, deep cleansing, antimicrobial, soothing, and sebum-balancing properties. It also helps reduce pore size and softens skin.
Bamboo extract, which you can also find in our Skin, Hair and Nails supplement, has high concentrations of silica, which assists with collagen and elastin development.
CLEAN is also formulated with soothing aloe and arnica, two ingredients you can find in the Daily Essentials Step 1 cleanser.
Perfectly pH-balanced, CLEAN is free of synthetic fragrances, harsh cleansing agents, and other harmful ingredients. Not only is this body wash gentle enough for babies, but it is also effective enough to wash away even the most intense gym session.
So many body cleansers leave skin feeling dry and parched, or “squeaky clean,” when instead, the skin should feel clean and nourished after bathing. CLEAN will not leave your skin feeling dry, and it contains mild essences zesty bergamot peel oil, and revitalizing grapefruit peel oil that add a pleasant scent.
HYDRATE: Body Moisturizer
After cleansing with CLEAN and gently patting dry but leaving skin damp, you can moisturize with our second step in the Body Essentials line, HYDRATE: Body Moisturizer.
Saturate your skin with clean and pure moisture with this pH-balanced body moisturizer. HYDRATE is infused with skin-loving ingredients, including niacinamide, murumuru butter, MSM, gluten-free colloidal oatmeal, turmeric, green tea, wakame algae, apple fruit extract, plus apricot kernel oil, and camelina oil.
How do these ingredients soften skin? The topical use of niacinamide can dramatically improve skin moisturization and helps barrier function. It also boosts collagen and elastin production, which helps achieve a more even-looking skin tone. Plus, softening murumuru butter readily penetrates the skin without clogging pores. Its high Vitamin A content helps soothe skin, and it is high in essential fatty acids that hydrate, such as lauric acid, which is also antibacterial. Some research has shown that apple extract relieves the occasional discomfort of sensitive skin and helps to significantly reduce wrinkles.
Finally, HYDRATE helps you drench skin with moisture while helping tone, firm, soften and soothe skin. Moisture is locked in, helping to replenish the skin’s natural barrier without leaving a greasy residue behind. And you can choose from two varieties, unscented for those who are sensitive to scents, or lemon zest, which contains the essence of bright and energizing Sicilian lemon peel oil.
These products are suitable for most skin types, even sensitive skin. And if you are unsure of whether you are an Amber, Sage, Olivia, Emmett or Heath skin type, head to The Skin Quiz to find your type and what skin care habits and lifestyle changes will be best for you.
The Spa Dr.® Approach
At The Spa Dr.®, our approach is to help shine the light on the skin and health care information and offer our guidance to support you on your journey.
We’re offering a free 9-part documentary series – Hormones, Health & Harmony to help you balance your hormones and restore radiance. Register HERE.
My new book, Natural Beauty Reset, provides an in-depth look at how you can nourish your body and support your health and hormones through the seasons.
The Spa Dr.® offers natural skin care products that are safe and free from chemicals and toxins that can harm your skin and health. Our products are formulated to contain key nutrients in their pure and active form to provide optimal results. In addition, our products are pH balanced towards mild acidity to promote and protect a healthy skin microbiome.
If you are not already part of The Spa Dr.® community, please join us on social media.
Share this article with your friends and spread the word to promote harmonized hormones and natural beauty!